Friday, September 30, 2011

Palakka Kolumbu / Jackfruit Curry

It's kind of sad Jackfruit is not readily available where I live. They come occasionally to some Korean and Indian shops. I love this curry. I think after Eggplant Curry, this would be my No.2 favorite. I would eat this for lunch and dinner and then next day lunch and dinner. My mum would save the seeds and pressure cook them with salt and they would taste just like chestnuts.

Ingredients
1/2 Kilo Green Jack fruit , cut into 1 inch  by 1 inch pieces
15 Small Onions(shallots)- thinly sliced.
1 and 1/2 Tomatoes
1 Big Potato cut into 1 inch by 1 inch pieces
 
Grind
3 Small Onions (shallots)
1 and 1/2 Teaspoon Jeera seed
1 Teaspoon Coriander seed
1 Inch ginger
4 Garlic pods

In a pressure cooker, fry the onions. until golden brown.Then add 1/4 cup of water, so the onions become very soft. Then fry until they become golden brown again . Add tomatoes, and fry until they are soft and mushy. Now put the Jack fruit and potatoe. fry for about 3 minutes. Add the paste and fry for another 5 minutes. Add about 1 water  and then pressure cook it for 8 minutes.    

Note: Beware: Jackfruit is hard to cut and you hands get all gooey with the puss from it. So my mum always says to rub oil on your hand before you cut it, or you have just use plastic gloves.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment